Flying Site History of sites opened by the CHGA (updated 2014)
* Safety Note: Talcott, Chauncy and Meriden are sheer cliff launches. A CL endorsement is
required for hang glider pilots. There have been no successful paraglider
launches (and several attempts) at these sites so paraglider flight is strongly not recommended there.
- Talcott Mountain, 650 foot WNW face. - Our primary site located above Nod Road in Simsbury, CT. It is a state park. Still active. Land only in the designated field. The polo field is not to be used. See the diagram (insured by CHGA)*
- West Rock, 250 foot SSE face. - Opened April 2005
more info (formerly insured by CHGA)
- Meriden Mountain, 550 foot NW face, located in Southington, CT the LZ is no longer useable (obsticles and tall trees) so this site is not flown.*
- Brace Mountain, 1500 foot W face west of Salisbury, CT. A 1 hour hike-in with a 300 foot climb.Now a flight park. Primarily used by paragliders.... more info
- Race Mountain, 1400 foot SE face, in Mount Washington, Mass. 1 hour hike-in.Launch may be overgrown.
- Mount Everett, in Mount Washington, MA, a 1 hour hike-in, 1900 foot NE face. Launch may be overgrown.
- Sharon Mountain, 500 foot N face in Sharon, CT overlooking Lime Rock race track. The ramp was recently removed by the state due to lack of site use.
- Chauncy Peak, 350 foot S face in E. Meriden, CT. Must hike entire vertical to the somewhat dangerous cliff launch. No secured permission to launch or land but site is soarable in south winds.
- Seascape at N. Truro, Cape Cod, 80 ft. WSW dune ridge (insured by CHGA). The Seascape has been sold, demolished and homes are being constructed on the site.